• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 748 other followers

  • June 2011
    S M T W T F S
    « May   Jul »
  • Meta

  • Categories

  • Archives

  • Advertisements

More on the last post

Somehow, that last post got published before I was finished but maybe it was getting too long anyway. Lol.

I’m very particular about how I mount my quilt tops and backing. It doesn’t take but a few minutes more and I get much better results. In addition to using the cable wraps for holding the ends of the leaders together, I also use them to keep a straight line on each side of the quilt top and backing so that when I roll it onto the pole, the edges stay where they should be and it’s much easier to keep the edge of the quilt as it should be when I’m working.

Keeping the edge straight

One more tip is one that I learned from Angie at HomeQuiltingSystems on Yahoo. Because my Juki has a very limited throat space for quilting and when I’m working I tend to forget that, I need a visual line to remind me where to stop. Blue painter’s tape is great for this. It can be re-used many times and one length will probably last through a whole quilt. For this quilt that I’m currently working on, I measured 4″ from the top of the bottom swirl and placed the painter’s tape at that point.

Painter's tape line across quilt top

I think that’s all for today. I’ll post pictures of this quilt when I get it off the frame and also pics of Chart Your Course and another quilt I’ve finished this week.

Leave a comment


  1. Brenda Myers

     /  June 12, 2012

    I am so glad I found this solution and the pictures really help. I couldn’t find “conduit” at Home Depot, but I did find what they called “gas pipe” but it did not have a line down the side. The only conduit they had was electrical conduit and it was small and seemed to bend very easily. The gas pipe is lead and that has me concerned, but was very heavy and did not bend at all. Could you give me more information about the conduit? Does it go by a different name? What is it used for? Maybe that would help the people at Home Depot know what I’m talking about. Thanks you very much for your help. Brenda

  2. Hi Brenda. DH says it’s called Thin wall EMT conduit. It’s probably about 2″ inside diameter and is very heavy. It would take a lot of force for it to bend or bow. We got it at Lowe’s. He says it’s electrical conduit. I think the gas conduit is too small in diameter and I would also be concerned about the lead. Hope this helps.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • More Than Four Walls

  • Follow Me on Pinterest

  • Free Motion Quilting Project

  • Thread Talk

  • Dream, Design, Create with EQ7