Fixing What I Shouldn’t Have Messed Up In The First Place

Honest to goodness!  I can make the biggest messes.  No kidding.  Remember when I trimmed the sides of a quilt too close and had trouble stitching the binding on at the frame?  If you weren’t reading my blog back then, yep… I really did that.

Sometimes, a quilt needs to be turned to be able to finish directional work.  Because my machine only has a 9″ harp, I find that most of the borders I do need to be done on the horizontal plane instead of vertical.

“Bears in the Penthouse” is no exception.  I finally finished all the quilting I could do with it loaded like it was so I took it off the frame to trim the sides to be the “new” top & bottom.

Are you afraid to ask?  Yep….I trimmed one of the sides right down to the edge of the quilt!

Yikes!

I really  need that part back that I just cut off!  Since I can’t undo what I just did, I had to put on my thinking cap.  Why not just sew a strip to that edge.  OK…sounds good, except I want the top edge to lay flat instead of being folded into the seam allowance.

Cut a strip

The piece I had cut off was just over 4″ so I cut two strips each 2- 1/8″  wide and sewed them together like I would sew binding strips.

Basting the strip to the quilt

Baste the strip to the BACK of the quilt….NOT the front.  You don’t even have to press the seam because when you put it on the frame, the tension will make it lie flat.

Basted strip folded out

Now I have a strip basted to the new top of the quilt which gives me room for my stitching.  Notice how the edge of the quilt lays flat.  That’s exactly what I needed!  I can see the top edge of the “real” quilt and don’t have to worry about bumping into the seam allowance.  When I’m finished, I’ll just take that basted strip off and put it into the strips box.  (I really don’t have a strips box but it sounded good didn’t it?)

New edge pinned to the frame

Now, maybe I can get this thing finished.  My revised goal for this quilt is to get it off the frame and the binding stitched on tomorrow.  🙂  I’d like to have the binding finished and a label sewn on by Tuesday but we’ll see.

Advertisements
Leave a comment

7 Comments

  1. Janet Parde

     /  February 24, 2011

    You are so clever!

    Reply
    • Quilting Tizzy

       /  February 25, 2011

      Lol. It only looks that way. If I was clever I wouldn’t have made the almost fatal mistake in the beginning. Lol.

      Reply
  2. Mysi

     /  February 24, 2011

    Good on the fly thinking! 🙂

    Reply
  3. Tracy Cox

     /  February 25, 2011

    Love the quilt, sorry about the mis-step. I was wondering what the name/manufacturer of the stripe fabric was?

    Reply
  4. Quilting Tizzy

     /  March 2, 2011

    It’s a Patricia Campbell fabric from several years ago. The line was called “Jacobean Rhapsody”>

    Reply
  5. You have me so confused because I always trim my quilts down to the edge.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • More Than Four Walls

  • Follow Me on Pinterest

  • Free Motion Quilting Project

  • Thread Talk

  • Dream, Design, Create with EQ7