I’ve gotten a good start on the quilt. I’ve made most of the sashings and 3 star blocks. I’ve started the applique` Gamecock. I think it will be fun to blog the journey of this design so as I get parts of it done I’ll take pics to share.
I’m going to use the “back-basting” method for the applique` Gamecock. I think it’s the most accurate way to get complicated designs to turn out the way they should. My favorite method for applique` is “freezer paper on front” but I don’t want this design to get skewed so I made the decision to back-baste.
Bear with me while I learn this new camera. It’s heavier than my little Olympus so I have a little trouble holding it still for focusing. Translated…that means some of my pictures are blurry. 😉
To back-baste you need a reverse image of the pattern you will be working with. You will need some sort of light box. I used the extension table for my FW. Fold the pattern and the background fabric in quarters and press for reference. It helps keep the design centered as you trace.
Tape the pattern reversed side up. Lay the “right” side of the background facing down and tape it to secure. Lightly trace the design onto the back of the background.
I number all my patterns in the order of stitching so I don’t get confused. They should be numbered starting with the patch that is “most underneath”. Work from there all the way to the “top” patch.
Place the first fabric patch “right side up” on the front of the background making sure you cover the patch you want to stitch down. Pin it in place. Your traced design is still on the back. The applique` patch will be on the unmarked side of the background.
Using quilting thread…follow the patch outline from the back side. (Ahh….that’s why they call it “back-basting”) When you look at the front you can see your stitches outlining the patch. I trim as I go. As you stitch pull a few stitches of the quilting thread out. It will leave little holes to use as your guide.
Here’s what the front looks like right now. I have one leg finished and one leg back-basted and partially trimmed. The comb is also back-basted, trimmed and ready to be stitched. These are the patches that are on the very bottom of the design. After I get these finished the main body of the Gamecock is next.
I’ll show the stars and sashings in the next post. Maybe I’ll have more of the applique` ready by then.
Tomorrow evening, I’m having dinner with some quilty friends at Parrains in Baton Rouge and I’ll post a few pics when I get home.