For anyone who’s a late comer to my blog, we’ve been working on converting a block barn on our property to a quilt studio for me. It’s been a long year but we’re reaching the end of the road with it.
Don finally got pretty much everything finished that he’s working on so a few weeks ago, we had the concrete floor done by Roy Bankston….that grown up man who used to be the kid who fished in our pond (with permission).
They decided on a design first and marked it off with a chalk line. Roy’s “right hand”, Austin scored the concrete following those lines and did most of the actual work. There’s a border around the room and in quilting talk, large “cross-hatching” in the center.
After the scoring is done, the concrete has to be scrubbed and a chemical applied which dries overnight before staining begins. Here’s a picture showing the beginning of the staining process. The outer border was stained first and then the center.
Here’s what the kitchen floor looks like after it’s been stained.
I think Austin was getting tired of my camera by now. After the stain dried overnight, he applied a sealer which took a couple days to dry. I didn’t take pictures of the bedroom, but he also color sealed the floor in there. It looks so nice. I’ll take a picture of the whole room after I finish decorating it.
Here’s what the longarm room looks like after it’s been sealed. This corner is where “Valentina” will reside.
I originally thought I wanted the bible verse put in front of the kitchen sink, but Roy pointed out that I would probably want to put a rug there….and he was right. So, we decided to put it in the doorway between the longarm room and the kitchen. I love it!
I love the way the floor turned out. The concrete has some cracks in it and they just enhance the random nature of the acid staining. The guys who poured the floor put a broom finish on it so there’s lots of texture in it. It looks great!